Eagle eye in Box2D

Discuss issues specific to miscellaneous ports of Box2D
Burkard

Eagle eye in Box2D

Postby Burkard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi, this is my first post, but I've used Box2D in two projects a couple of years ago...

What I actually need is some kind of 2D engine that I could use as an "eagle view". Something like a 3D engine, but with the camera constantly on top and orthogonal, and no variations on y axis (all things would use the same platform/terrain/height/etc).

I've thought that removing gravity could work, to simulate some kind of top view, but this way I can't have friction, and so on... Maybe creating an engine from scratch, but it would cost me a lot... I really think that's some way to do that with Box2D, but I can't figure it out...

To be clear: imagine a shadow of a sphere running along a path, but projected on a 2D camera, with collision detection; that's basically it.

ANY help/idea/link will be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!!!

Burkard

ADD: Eagle eye in Box2D

Postby Burkard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

* In fact, what I need is some kind of a pool table, with a little more features (physics).

irresistible force

Re: Eagle eye in Box2D

Postby irresistible force » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Friction joints can be used to simulate things sliding on the ground in a top-down world, like the crash-barriers in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKw1Ks3MfY&t=2m58s
You could also just apply a small force in the opposite direction to the current movement, if you want more control for things like rolling friction. Slopes could be simulated by applying a force in the downward direction of the slope.

Burkard

Re: Eagle eye in Box2D

Postby Burkard » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:13 am

I think it shall work.

Thanks, irresistible force! :)

Return to “Miscellaneous”