Wiki

News about Box2D
Erin Catto
Site Admin

Wiki

Postby Erin Catto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:26 pm

I put up MediaWiki at http://www.box2d.org/wiki.

Would anyone like to help add some content? Once it is presentable, I'll put a link on the Box2D home page.

ewjordan

Re: Wiki

Postby ewjordan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:23 am

Looks good - I'm a wiki n00b, so someone else might have to help add some screenshots and make everything look organized and pretty, but I added some things to be fleshed out on the front page just to get the ball rolling, and when I have some time I'll add some more.

This should be very useful, thanks for setting it up!

BorisTheBrave

Postby BorisTheBrave » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:41 am

Curses, beat me to the first post to the wiki. I'm also happy to contribute a little bit. I've transcribed the unofficial FAQ, hopefully to eventually replace all the entires in it.

A bit of guidance, please Erin? Should we mirror the FAQ and manual, to try and update and improve them, or merely create commentry on them, and things they don't cover.

Wahooney

Postby Wahooney » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 pm

May I suggest placing the Todo list as a roadmap in the Wiki, I'd do it myself, but I think that might be a bit presumptuous of me :P

But this is a great step :)

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Hey guys, thanks a ton for the quick work on this! I'll put a link on the main page today.

Let's please move the FAQ over to the Wiki. It is too painful to update as is and I want to open it up to the community. I'll nuke the old one once the transfer is done.

We should also transfer the FAQs from the forum and merge them in as appropriate. I'll then make a short FAQ in the forum that simply links to the Wiki.

One thing I'm concerned about is security. It seems that anyone can edit the Wiki. Should I make it require an account?

I'm fine with transcribing the TODO list to the Wiki. In that case we don't need the history of past releases.

The manual will stay as is in Docbook format. The Wiki should provide FAQ functionality, expanded explanations, problems and solutions, and re-inforcement. I wouldn't link directly to sections in the manual since those are bound to change.

ewjordan

Postby ewjordan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:14 pm

One thing I'm concerned about is security. It seems that anyone can edit the Wiki. Should I make it require an account?

I think that's perfectly reasonable. Sign-up takes all of about 30 seconds and requires no immediate verification. The audience is specialized enough so that anyone that cares enough to add something useful to the Wiki can take the time to make an account.

Diggsey

Postby Diggsey » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am

Could you make it so that we can sign in with our forum account :P ?

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Ok, so how do I make two MySQL databases talk to each other? :)

mayobutter

Postby mayobutter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:47 pm

Erin,

A quick google search brought this up:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration

BorisTheBrave

Postby BorisTheBrave » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:06 pm

While we are on the subject of extensions, the source formatting extension will almost certainly be handy.
Personally, I don't see that much point linking the two user accounts though.

Return to “News”