More Hacks

News about Box2D
Erin Catto
Site Admin

More Hacks

Postby Erin Catto » Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 pm

The Box2D forum has been down due to more attacks on Godaddy.com.

See this for more information: http://blog.sucuri.net/2010/05/lots-of-sites-reinfected-now-using.html

I welcome any recommendations for a more secure host.

Numsgil

Re: More Hacks

Postby Numsgil » Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 pm

If you don't mind some elbow grease and linux command line, I'd recommend Linode. It's not shared web hosting. Instead, basically you get a virtual linux box connected to the internet. You can use it to build a LAMP stack for web hosting, and/or SVN hosting, and/or run code on the server. Basically everything a dedicated host can do, except it's cheaper and you share the hardware with other users.

It's about 5x more expensive than GoDaddy though (extra command line power comes at a cost).

If you're not a linux guru (I am not either), you might be able to get some of your forum goers to set it up for you. That's what I did for my site.

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm not a Linux guru, but that does sound appealing. I'd have to install apache, php, and mysql. I'd have total control over the server, but a whole lot more responsibility. Sounds like a bit much just to host a forum. :/

Numsgil

Postby Numsgil » Sun May 16, 2010 10:29 pm

I'd have to install apache, php, and mysql.

I think Linode has recently set it up so that it's pretty easy to install a LAMP stack. See Stackscripts. Haven't used them myself, but it shouldn't take much know-how or time. Maybe a solid weekend.

Sounds like a bit much just to host a forum. :/

Yeah, it's overkill if you just want to manage a forum. You could set up an IRC server, though. That might be neat.

Return to “News”