2.1 Approaches

News about Box2D
peoro

Re: 2.1 Approaches

Postby peoro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:47 am

Yup, latest SVN version compiles and runs fine (managed to compile it with a: g++ -I. -lglut `^Cnd -iname "*.cpp" | grep -v HelloWorld.cpp` -o box2d), but was concerned about the lack of any build system file (except for VC8).

Got another question:
in this thread you talk about big changes that will break API compatibility. Will they be included in Box2D 2.1? And how about the "more big changes coming soon. In particular, we are working on a new broad-phase." ?

Thanks!

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Most of the big changes are in. There may be some changes to the continuous solver because I'm working on that now.

evesira

Postby evesira » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Erin, could you give us an approximate time when 2.1 will be released? I'm going to be writing a dll wrapper for it (just for fun, not for any commercial purposes). I'm not looking for an exact date... just, is it within days, weeks, or months?

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 am

I think 2.1 is going to be delayed a bit. I'm still working to improve the continuous collision. I'm also preparing for the GDC and busy at work. So I'm guessing it won't be out until March or so. Sorry for the delay, but I want to it to be a quality release.

Wahooney

Postby Wahooney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 am

I vote for quality :)

But just out of curiosity, what are you doing do ccd? Making it faster? More robust? Both? neither?

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 am

I'm working to improve the robustness of CCD. Currently when there are stacks of bodies it is possible to push a shape through the static collision. Fixing this means that CCD probably won't work on islands of bodies, but that never worked great anyhow.

Wahooney

Postby Wahooney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Coo'.

BorisTheBrave

Postby BorisTheBrave » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:26 am

I for one am getting a little tired of the wait. Better to release often, imho. CCD has no significant impact on the external API, so could be done in an minor version change. Not that I think 2 months is that long, either, but something will probably come up before it's done.

dcarrigg

Postby dcarrigg » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am

I agree with Boris.

I'm currently waiting for the new release to upgrade my engine. There's a handful of features in 2.1 that I'm waiting to take advantage of and the sooner I can integrate them the better. As long as your changes aren't going to change the API, there isnt any harm in releasing.

For someone to take advantage of the most recent features, they'd need to use the latest SVN version, which it seems a lot of people are. Seems like it'd be much better to make a new release sooner instead of making people go this route.

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I've checked in my major rework of continuous simulation. Here is change note:

Heavily revised continuous simulation. Bodies are now solved sequentially in one pass. Bullets are solved last. The time of impact code now works backwards from t = 1 to find the latest time where bodies are non-penetrating. The TOI solver now just performs position correction. Sub-steps are no longer performed. The results look good so far (drop the bomb on the bridge) and performance should be better. The new system is also much easier for me to debug.

If you find any issues, please file them on Google.

Return to “News”