Fixing the SPAM problem

News about Box2D
Erin Catto
Site Admin

Fixing the SPAM problem

Postby Erin Catto » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi All,

I am aware of the spam problem on this forum and I want to squash it ASAP.

- Please provide any suggestions you have for eliminating the spam. I consider manual account activation the last resort. I need a solution that is fairly easy to implement because I'm not an expert at SQL/php.

- If you would like to help as an admin on this board, please send me a pm. I will be checking the number and quality of your posts (we don't want the spammers to become admins).

Thanks,
Erin

Update:
- I now require the user to activate their account via an email that is sent to them automatically. Only one account per email address is allowed.
- I turned on noise in the the registration image.
- Added custom profile field that requires users to state that they are not spammers.
- I found some good advice on this page: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1437125

Update2:
- Thanks to all that volunteered, I think we have enough moderators for now.

Update3:
- I saw some new spam, but these were from users registered before I improved registration. So we will need to keep on top of the spam for a while yet.

Update4:
- I haven't seen any new spammer bot registrations in the past 3 weeks.

Update5:
- I adjusted the custom profile fields, hopefully this fixes the recent problems.

zappBrannigan

Re: Fixing the SPAM problem

Postby zappBrannigan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:47 am

thank you for investing time into keeping this forum clean!

caspin

Postby caspin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 pm

really, thanks

kdmiller3

Postby kdmiller3 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:02 pm

And hey, by posting here you knocked the last vestige of the spammer's name off the front page. :D

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:04 am

hey, I know this isint quite what you are talking about when refering to spam, however I have noticed a lot of people (myself included when I first started on box2d) asking what many of us here would describe as "trivial" questions

examples of theese would include:
-Whats happening in the hello world example/ what have I done wrong
-How do I use graphics with it
-How do I "run" box2d

Now I know that theese threads pop up a LOT, and I myself am guilty of them when I first started and I know how annoying they can be

I would like to propose some sort of SUPER simplified intro to box2d and how to get started, I would be willing to write all or part of it, depending on the size of it and how much time I have and I think it may cut down on some of theese threads on the forum.

I realise that this is NOT what this thread is about, however I feel that it is important to have a smooth entry into box2d, for starters to get more people interested (I for one almost gave up at the start due to the lack of very easy introductory material) and also to leave the forums free for more difficult/in-depth questions

thank you for your time and patience, let me know what you think...

Erin Catto
Site Admin

Postby Erin Catto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 pm

I believe the wiki is the place to go for introductory material. Did you find it lacking? If so, please contribute to the wiki.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 am

Good point... I did find it a bit lacking, and could have done with a couple of simple tutorials on how to get started, I'll try to get some done soonish...

Return to “News”